Saturday, August 14, 2021

Freezing Corn

 Last Weekend, my mom, her brother and my aunt froze 5 dozen corn.  Their cousins also posted on FB their photos of freezing corn.  Freezing Iowa corn was something my grandpa always did too, so seeing their photos made me miss him just a bit.  Today while shopping, the ears of corn were on sale and I decided to try my hand at freezing corn as well.  It's not Iowa corn, but it's still good and fresh, so why not.  I didn't have a daughter or granddaughter by my side, so I'm posting here in case one of them ever wants to try their hand at it and I'm too daft to share my experiences.

I bought 20 ears of corn and ended up with 3 quarts of frozen corn (3 cups of corn per quart bag).

Step 1:  Shuck (peel) the corn.  Pull the husks and silk off, then use water to help get the remaining silk off.

Step 2:  Boil water in a big pot.  Once it is boiling, put the ears of corn into the water and set a 6 minute timer (don't wait for the water to return to a boil to set the timer, just set it).  When it hits approximately 1 minute, put ice into a big bowl of water in preparation.

Step 3:  Using long tongs, take the corn out of the boiling water and submerge into ice water to cool immediately.

Step 4:  Using a sharp big knife (chef or chopper), hold the corn vertically and cut off the kernels, being careful not to get too much of the cob.  I put the cut corn into a big bowl after I cut it.

Step 5:  Place 3 cups of corn into a quart freezer bag and seal.  

Step 6:  Freeze.  Whenever I freeze soup or other items in a bag, I use a small cookie sheet that fits nicely into my freezer to lay the bagged items flat while they freeze.  Once frozen I remove the cookie sheet and the frozen bags stack nicely and defrost easily.  

Once you are ready to use the frozen corn, just add salt and pepper and butter with a little water and heat through.  You can also use it in recipes just like any frozen corn you'd buy at the store.  

No comments:

Post a Comment