Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Mary's Fry Bread (Kitsap Indian Education Program)

When I was in 5th grade (if you want to know the year, ask Dwight as he cares about things like dates) I participated in the "Indian Education" program at my school.  Anyone with 1/32nd or more of Native American blood  could participate.  I just barely qualified, but it was a great experience.   We had a Port Orchard Potlatch and this recipe was printed in the program bulletin.  My mom was recently sorting through papers and such and came across it (complete with crayon scribbles all over it compliments, I'm sure of my sister.)  She was so pleased to have preserved this authentic fry bread recipe.  I wonder if she ever read it.  I challenge my daughters and nieces (the only ones who ever read this blog) to make it and let me know how it goes.  :)

Dissolve 3 packages of yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water.  Add 1 Tablespoon Sugar.  While this is dissolving melt 1 Tablespoon of margarine.  In a large pan, pour in 3 quarts of warm water and 2 large cans of evaporated milk and 1 1/2 cups of sugar; 2 Tablespoons salt.  Add flour and mix well to make a smooth batter.  Into this batter add dissolved yeast and mix well.  Add additional flour and knead until smooth and elastic.  Dough should not be sticky.  Let rise.  Can be fried at first rising.  Left-over dough can be stored in the refrigerator. 

This is exactly how this was typed into the Indian Education Program's bulletin.  I do not know what you do with the melted margarine or how much flour, so don't ask.  Lol.  However, if you experiment and figure it out, let me know. Kisses!


No comments:

Post a Comment